Under Way At Last
A big day today, I ‘drove’ ‘Gleda’ for the first time under her own power. My first attempt didn’t go well. I’d wrapped the steering rope the wrong way round the drum so that the wheel acted like a tiller i.e. Turning the wheel to port turned the wheel to starboard, then because there was too much slack in the system the whole thing fouled up and I had to revert to using the tiller. The wind picked up against the tide and picking up the mooring on my own proved challenging to say the least. I lost the boathook and it took 8 attempts before I was able to secure the boat again.
The ‘breadcrumb’ track from my GPS kind of tells the story!
I re-grouped after lunch though, re-routed and adjusted the steering, made up a temporary boathook and tried again. This time everything worked perfectly and I spent half an hour motoring up and down the river making sure all was well. As the engines were well run in due to having used them to charge batteries for a few weeks I opened up the throttles and got 7knots against a strong tide. It felt great. I picked up the mooring again without trouble.
I was able to snap a quick photo on my phone as we powered down the river.
I’ve been working my way through the running rigging and sails this past week and this morning I was able to get both sails up for the first time. There’s still quite a lot to do but I’m optimistic that I’ll be able to do some sailing trials at some point next week.
The weather forecast for the weekend isn’t good with the remnants of a Hurricane likely to give us some unseasonal conditions on Sunday. The Summer just seems to be hurtling by but I’m doing all I can to get ‘Gleda’ finished and sailing just as soon as I can.
I’ll keep you posted.