The Worlds Largest Ships
I happened across this the other day. The worlds largest ship is currently being built by Daewoo in Korea for the Maersk shipping line. Well apparently there are ten of these things due to come into service between 2013 and 2015 with another 20 possible after that, well they’re only $190 million each so what the hell!
Every statistic about these so called Triple-E ships is mind blowing
- Length: 400 metres ( 1,312 feet )
- Beam : 59 metres ( 193 feet )
- Height: 73 metres ( 239 feet )
- Draught: 14.5 metres ( 48 ft )
- Deadweight: 165,000 metric tonnes ( 162,000 imperial tons )
- Container Capacity: 18,000 Standard 20ft containers ( If that was a train it’d be 68 miles (110 kilometres) long!)
They’ll be plying the route between China and Europe via the Suez Canal ( I had no idea the Suez was that wide ). That means they’ll be heading up across Biscay and into the English Channel in a couple of years time, imagine seeing one of them bearing down on you at 20 knots!
Interestingly Maersk are claiming to be doing us all a favour bringing these ships into service as they are super efficient low emission fuel saving savours of the planet apparently, and think of all the fantastic high quality consumer goodies China will be able to send us….. Fantastic!
You can find out more at these two sites