Stringing Me Along
A good day today. Its starting to feel like Spring, the sun was shining and temperatures up to 13’C. When I got to the barn I checked on the scarfs I had glued last night and found that one of them had moved somehow so I had to scrap it. The low overnight temperatures meant that the epoxy had only just started to harden so I remade the bad joint and then set them all aside to cure for a few days before I attempt to fit them. You can see these 4 long stringers on the trestles between the hulls in the photo below. Next I concentrated on the four shorter stringers that fix to the stem and stern. These had to be tapered to fit and carefully cut to fit in exactly the right position on the stem and stern posts. This was quite time consuming but I was pleased with the result. Once happy that these were right I worked along checking the fit into the bulkhead notches and drilling holes to take the wire used to hold the stringer in position whilst the glue dries. I am using plastic covered garden wire which should make removal easier. Once all was ready the stringers were removed and, after a priming coat of neat epoxy, glued into position with a thickened adhesive mix. The wires were then pushed through and twisted to keep everything in place. I then used big screws to pull the stringers in to the stem and stern posts. I will have to fill some gaps and tidy these joints up once the glue has cured.