Hi all, still here, still working, still not sailing.
Things are moving in the right direction but far far slower than I’d wanted. There are a few reasons, it’s harder working on anything when you’re on a boat moored out in the river. No shore power, restricted work space and weather dependant. Just keeping the boat stocked and comfortable also takes time with runs ashore for supplies, water and showers etc.
It’s been difficult to get all the running rigging components sourced at the right price and although I’ve now got most of it aboard there are still a few things like mainsheet blocks that even the manufacturers were out of stock of. Fingers crossed everything will be here next week.
For nearly three weeks now I’ve been working with a very painful neck/shoulder. Trapped nerve, strained muscle, who knows. It’s getting better slowly but movement is restricted and painkillers are regularly popped.
I’ve had to go back to the drawing board as far as my chain drive steering connections are concerned. I just couldn’t get enough travel to move the tillers through the full motion. I’ve got to revert back to something similar to the plans using a drum but that means changing the wheel shaft bearing system I’d already fitted.
Gail is heading back up country for two weeks next week so I’ll be on my own again, the weather forecast for the coming week shows rain everyday. It’s going to be a bit of a grind.
Despite all the delays and frustrations I’m stubbornly moving forward though. Everyday brings us closer to the day when ‘Gleda’ will be free to leave this mooring and move downriver under her own steam. Thoughts of heading South to Portugal are still my main motivator.
For now though I’ll leave you with two new ‘Views from the Nav Seat’ (I hear you guys!) First one is with flood tide, second the ebb. It’s not a bad spot to be.