Signs Of Growth
It’s been a busy business week this week so I was eager to get some build time in today. My intention was to crack on with the other two cabin roof/tumblehome strips. As we’ve had a couple of days of torrential rain here the outside edges of the barn were, as usual after a rainy spell, pretty wet, so I opted to start on the driest side first i.e. the starboard hull. After about 5 minutes I realised that I was getting more and more annoyed as my head kept coming into contact with the heavy polythene ‘inner roof’ I put up back in July 2007 (I can’t believe that!) Realising that I was in any case going to have to do something about it before I could continue building up the starboard hull cabin top I decided to bite the bullet and do it then and there.
So instead of spending 5 hours building I spent five hours clearing all the stuff from that side of the barn, unfixing the polythene, lifting it further up, re-fastening it and then putting all the stuff back again. It was quite a tough job as there is a fair weight of polythene up there and raising it involved much pulling on ropes, climbing up barn sides and balancing on the very top of ladders about 20ft up.
I have a slight pang of regret that I didn’t make any progress on the boat today but it was a job that was going to have to be done at some point and I know have plenty of space to bring the hulls up to full height and work on deck when the time comes.