Pod Enclosures & More Lewis
Back in December we ordered up a new set of enclosures for the deck pod but due to holidays and weather, delivery and fitting kept getting delayed but this week we got a break and they finally arrived.
It was quite a challenge coming up with a decent design that looked good and worked well but I’m pleased to say the end result has come out great. There are a few minor alterations and a few more fixings to be done next week but as you can see it look pretty good as is.
We’ve had two big zipped openings made in the aft section, the side entrances can be rolled up and the forward screen is zipped centrally so that it can be dropped easily, so in warm weather the pod can be opened right up. Today was bright with a cold wind blowing but working in the pod it was pleasantly warm. These enclosures will make the pod a far more comfortable place to be both at sea and in harbour.
We’ve also ordered a large awning to cover the central deck area and two companionway covers that will be fixed to the pod roof and tied to the shrouds. Hopefully we’ll then be able to move between hulls without getting wet!
As you can see from all the tools on deck I’ve also been continuing work on ‘Lewis’ the self-steering. I’ve now made up the frame which holds the pendulum and jointed in the upright extension which will support the vane. A lot of care was needed to cut accurate joints and the groove which takes the 20mm stainless rod on which the whole thing pivots. Needless to say it has to be strong. By the end of the day though I’d got the job done and was able to slot the frame into the stern mount. I’m beginning to make sense of things now and I’ll crack on again tomorrow.