I spent most of today marking, cutting, drilling, grinding and tapping metal. The purchase of some decent drill bits and a refinement of technique meant that drilling holes became far less painful. It’s still a time consuming job though as one of the keys to success is using a slow speed on the drill.
So the deckpod has become a metal work shop and it’s quite satisfying being able to produce stuff like this on the boat. I’m not sure I’ll be able to do everything aboard but it’d be quite cool to say I built the vane without working ashore.
Most of what I’ve done today used box section stainless as the raw material. The photo below shows two sections marked up with hole positions centre-punched.
Next stage is to drill pilot holes and then use the angle grinder to rough cut the sections out.
Finally they can be finished off with a grinding disc and file before drilling out the holes to the right diameter. Here are all the parts I’ve been able to make so far.
I reckon that’s about six hours work so far and there are still another 15 or so metal pieces to make up. I’m pretty happy with the results, everything seems to match the scale drawings OK but I guess I won’t really know how I’ve done until I come to bolt everything together.
I’m really enjoying getting my teeth into this project.