Lewis Ready To Test
After some pretty solid work sessions I’ve now got ‘Lewis’ finished and mounted on the stern and I’ve figured out the connection to the tiller bar. From what I can see it should work but I won’t know until next month when we finally get back out sailing.
I’ve put a pin in the tiller bar and I’m using a length of chain so that I can make adjustments and release it quickly if I need to take back control. I re-positioned the wheel steering line tensioning pulley so that it’s near to the self-steering base which means I can disconnect Lewis and re-tension the wheel steering in a few seconds.
Darren asked why I chose this Hebridean design over JWD’s own self-steering. Well firstly I’ve had some experience with similar versions and frankly I never found them particularly effective, to be fair it was probably down to user error but I just didn’t fancy repeating the experience. I like the fact that the Hebridean is light and that it can be easily removed and stowed on deck but really it just boils down to a gut feeling that the vane would be right for ‘Gleda’. I might be wrong, we’ll soon find out!
In between working on ‘Lewis’ I’ve also done a lot of work inside the pod, more about that next time.