How’s It Looking?
Well January has almost run its course and so I thought it a good time to review how the New Year has gone so far. Here are the main points in no particular order:
- The weather has been cold, dark and miserable
- The Landrover blew its gearbox and cost me £600
- Then it needed a service and an MOT and some brake pads so cost another £400
- While the Landy was off the road I had to cycle miles in the cold and rain because the garage didn’t have a courtesy car
- My business accounts for last year show a considerable loss
- Several ‘hot’ prospects for business have gone distinctly ‘cold’
- My girlfriend had an emergency operation for appendicitis and will be off work for weeks
- My girlfriend was also given notice to vacate the house she’d been living in for 8 years
- I’m going to have to move to a bigger more expensive house so that she has somewhere to live
- I haven’t been able to spend as much time on Gleda as I wanted
- I can’t really afford the epoxy supplies I need for the next stage of the build
- I nearly sliced the top of my thumb off today
- Money is going out far quicker than its coming in
- I’m working harder than I’ve ever done in my life
- It’s January in the UK what else is it going to be? We’re past the solstice and summers coming.
- I now have a faster more economic Landy because I took the opportunity to upgrade to a Discovery gearbox with better ratios
- The Landy is running sweet and is set for the rest of the year
- I’m fitter for all that cycling and screaming through big puddles with the wind in my face was fun!
- Most of the loss is what the Company owes me!
- They’ve been replaced with hotter ones
- The problem was diagnosed quickly and she’s recovering well
- The time is right to move on and start afresh
- It’s the cottage next door, sunnier patio, room for guests to stay and we get to live together 🙂
- Still done well though and progress is being made
- But if I need them I have a credit card
- I didn’t slice it all the way through
- I’m working hard on a plan to reverse that big time!
- And it’s great because I’m working for me!
Strange isn’t it? What brings about that shift in a persons mind that allows them to see the positive rather than the negative? I don’t think anyone on the outside can do it, in fact the more a negatively minded individual gets told to ‘cheer up’ or in the words of Eric Idle ‘Look on the bright side of life’ the more they are likely to do the opposite. No I think it has to come from the inside, some gradual realisation that playing the victim and blaming everything and everyone for your misfortunes will ultimately destroy you. I thank the Gods that I’ve made that shift, it took years to happen but I believe its now irreversible. Whatever life throws at me now I can’t be knocked down, well maybe I can but I’ll damn well just get up again. I will succeed, 2011 will be a great year, just you wait and see.
For those that can’t ever see that positive shift coming their way I can only offer myself as proof of the possibility, I’m not special. I’m not gifted, I’m just a guy who hung in there until the sun came out again,so do the same, hang on, survive, and I guarantee that good things will just start appearing and once that happens you’re never going to look back. Trust me I’m a boatbuilder!