I’ve spent today drawing out all 7 lower bulkheads. It was a time consuming task requiring concentration, lots of measurements and a good pencil! I now have all 7 bulkheads fully drawn out on the 9mm ply and ready to cut. I deviated from Wharrams ply usage plan slightly as it made the job easier. Wharram supplies some drawings showing what they believe to be the most economical way to use the standard ply sheets. Trouble is that means cutting pieces from sheets also containing pieces that will not be required till much later in the project. By ignoring it I may have a slightly higher wastage rate but to be honest I don’t mind buying an extra sheet or two of ply if it makes the job easier. Although the weather has been dry today the temperature was only around 5,C and I got quite cold sitting on the floor for hours, the brain has been exercised a lot more than the body today! I could perhaps save a bit of time by coating the full sheets with epoxy before cutting the bulkheads out, but with the temperatures still being low I think the extra work involved in heating and working in the covered area would probably cancel out the gains so I am going to cut them out and then coat. Obviously producing the bulkheads for hull No2 will be a lot quicker as I can use this set as templates.
This is one of the bulkhead plan drawings I’ve been following.
Using a batten bent against temporary nails to draw the hullside profile as a fair curve.