Building In Miniature
Latest update: The build barn is still waiting for the new gutters but will be cleared out this week so I should be able to start moving in soon. Should finalise initial epoxy order this week. Spent more pennies on some tools, sandpaper, nails, screws and stuff. (Hallway is getting really cluttered now). The boss at work kindly donated a redundant steel security container and cupboard to the project.
The desire to start cutting wood overcame me though and I decided to try building a 1:10 scale model of the backbone using Bass (like Balsa) wood. Its many many years since I did any model making and it quite took me back to my childhood, I was amazed how the time disappeared as I got so engrossed. It was really useful to turn the flat drawings into a 3 dimensional object I can hold and study. Worryingly though I discovered some discrepancies on the plans between the written dimensions and those I got when I scaled off using a rule. I posted a query on TheMultihull and it seems that its normal. The photocopying process appears to distort the drawing somewhat and the concencus is to follow the written measurement but to cross-check with the other drawings when possible. A valuable lesson learnt already. You can see the results of my work here, note the pencil behind the keel for scale, the whole thing is about 1.1m (43") long. I am going to see if I can add the bulkheads next but may have difficulty because I can’t get Bass wood that scales to match the different plywood thicknesses.