916Hrs – Shine On
The beer, barbecue and sunshine went down really well yesterday and the fantastic weather continued today indeed the forecast says that it will continue all week, its been a long time coming but long may it last! Anyway to ease my conscience after yesterdays chillout I put in a few more hours today.
It was still strange walking into the barn and seeing the hull sitting there seemingly twice the size of a few days ago. I noticed straight away that in my haste to screw the bulkheads up yesterday I had put the two sections aft of the bunk (the ones I was sitting between in yesterdays photo) the wrong way round, so I swopped them round. I screwed the two forward ones on the port hull in place then got out the drawings to make a plan. As I said before I want to take real care setting these bulkheads up and to that end I have ordered up a water level to help set up the hulls dead level. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, I also need to check a few dimensions to make sure that the hulls are the right distance apart. Lack of these two things made me decide to hold fire on any further bulkhead work until I have competed this task, Instead I decided to draw and cut out the upper stem and stern posts. These are cut from 18mm ply and according to the cutting plan come from the same two sheets as the rudders and the lower stern posts. Now these lower stern posts were some of the first pieces that I cut some 18 months ago when I started the build. I had noted the cutting plan and cut them from the middle of the sheets as shown, leaving room for the rudders on the outside edges. Before I could do anything though I had to extricate the sheets from beneath piles of offcuts and bits of ply, then I started drawing things out. I decided I might as well draw and cut out the rudders and I quickly realised that I had miscalculated when I cut out the lower stern posts and that I hadn’t left enough room to get two of the rudders out complete, There was a small section of nothing! Initially I was really annoyed with myself as because of the price I only bought just enough 18mm for the build with no spare . I looked at the sheets for a while and then remembered that each rudder is made up of two thicknesses of 18mm, OK one of them has a bit missing but I can use filled epoxy to fill the gap, it will be fine. I spent the rest of the work session cutting out the four rudder sections and the two upper stern posts, I still have the rudder tops and upper stem posts too do, oh and I got another coat of epoxy on the three remaining 12mm bulkhead sheets. By the way thanks to all who left recent comments, it’s good to know that folks are still following along… Thanks