847Hrs – Swapping Sides
Until I decide on the holding tanks I have gone as far as I can with the port hull. It’s no problem because there is still plenty I can be getting on with. Tonight I moved over to the starboard hull and started prepping for primer. I sorted all the loose components laid them out, sanded and cleaned them and masked up wherever there will be glue. I then moved into the hull and prepped the area beneath the main double berth and the aft single berth. My neck and shoulder are still giving me grief but resting isn’t an option.
My research on holding tanks continues both with regard to availability and costs as well as legislation and requirements. Thanks to Shane and Adrian for the info, combined with some replies to the same question posed on The Multihull forum the consensus so far seems to be that the porta potti will be OK in most places. The thing is, now I’ve been prompted to think about it properly, I’m coming round to the idea that irrelevant of legislation it’s something I ought to do. Gleda is being built to explore some of the most beautiful unspoilt coastal areas on the planet. Imagine being anchored in crystal clear water lagoon off a deserted white beach, the sort of place to spend a week or more. No way would I pump ‘black’ water out and rowing ashore to mimic a bear in the woods doesn’t really appeal. I would even feel bad pumping out ‘grey’ waste water. Gleda should be able to provide comfortable sustainable accommodation in this sort of environment without making any impact on it at all. To save money I will probably retain the porta potti but also fit a decent size holding tank that it can be emptied into. I will probably put another tank under the portside gas locker floor to take ‘grey’ water from the galley and maybe another under the starboard double berth to take washroom ‘grey’ waste. Even if I don’t use them immediately installing them now will be a lot easier and will give me more options in the future. So in the space of a few days I’ve gone from no holding tanks to three! I’ll see how the research and costs pan out before making a final decision.