730Hrs – On The Up
A much better day today. I was determined to have something to show for today’s work so I decided to start on the upper bulkheads. The first one to tackle is bulkhead 8 near the stern. It’s the only one cut from 9mm ply, all the rest are 12mm. It’s quite a complicated shape so care was needed to mark out the first one, (the second was easy because I used the first as a template). Once cut it took me quite a while to establish the correct position for them and then I discovered that the small plywood braces I had wrongly put in a few weeks ago were in the way! I was about to take a chisel to them but stopped and thought about it a bit longer and realised that it was better to modify the bottoms of the bulkheads slightly so that they sat nicely on the braces. Once they are all glued together I think they might even be stronger than the ones in the plans. To make sure that they were correctly positioned and level I temporarily screwed some small blocks of wood into place to which I could tack the bulkheads holding them in position nicely. I then mixed up some epoxy and filleted the edges to the hullsides. Once that’s gone off I can remove the temporary blocks and finish gluing without any risk of movement. You may notice in the photos that I haven’t pre-coated these bulkheads with epoxy. The main reason were impatience and the cold however I’m thinking about coating all the upper bulkheads with a roller after they are fitted. It’s annoying to have to key sand all the edges before gluing. There will be quite a few bearers and so on to fix to them and some pieces will be cut away. We’ll see.