697Hrs – Onto The Floor
A good session today added to a few hours made up elsewhere, have got all the below floor fillets and ply braces finished. For the first time in what seems ages it dawned on me that I was back to a plywood cutting phase. This meant I had to re-lay some T&G chipboard onto the barn floor to give me a nice clean flat surface to work on, uncover a few sheets of 9mm ply and dig out some hardboard for templates. The cabin floors have to be custom made to fit the hulls as there will inevitably be variances, I spent quite a bit of time carefully measuring and then transferred them onto hardboard. I used my little electric exact saw to quickly cut out the shape and then dropped it in place. It fitted quite nicely but did need adjustment so I’m glad I decided to do it this way rather than jump straight to cutting the expensive ply. To finish off I layed out three sheets of 9mm and got a coat of epoxy on one side. I have learnt my lesson here, it is much easier and quicker to coat full sheets rather than mess around with cut pieces. I will probably have to wait a while before I can sand though as we are in another cold snap with temperatures only just above freezing all day.
Photo left is me marking out the hardboard template for the starboard hull main cabin floor.
Photo right shows the template in position. This section of floor will have a lifting section in the middle to allow for storage underneath so after cutting the floor out in one piece I will cut through to make a perfectly matched joint.