677Hrs – Backbone Fillets Done
A two hour session last night (I didn’t have time to blog) and a four hour session fitted in today have allowed me to get the No1 bow compartments filled and glassed. I also got the ply braces cut and ready to fix next time. The mood was also lifted by some long awaited sunshine and I couldn’t help admiring the craftsmanship in the brickwork vents up in the barn eaves. They looked striking with the sun shining through.
The photo right shows the view looking straight down into one of the bow compartments. I confess its not the neatest glass job in the world but this area will be virtually inaccessible in the finished boat and I am confident the work is good. To answer Shane’s question in the last comment, yes I gave all the areas I could get my hand into a light sand and followed up with a good wipe down with acetone. As he rightly points out applying fresh epoxy onto old without preparation is likely to result in a weak bond. That said in these particular places the stresses will not be high, nonetheless its important to get the best bond strength possible everywhere.