657Hrs – Six Down In Eight
A solid eight hours put in today enabled me to push on into the No 6 compartments in both hulls. The sequence of work went a follows. First the sander had to come out to knock back the excess epoxy that had previously squeezed through the hullside joints and various other blobs that had resulted from my early messy work. After a thorough vacuum out and rub down with acetone I cracked on with mixing and pouring filled epoxy mix into the keel joints, once this was done I cut up appropriate lengths of glassfibre and bedded them down to the now tacky epoxy using a bit of plastic pipe to get a nice concave shape. The glassfibre was then wetted out and finished off. The last job was to apply a single layer of glassfibre to the inside of the hullside joints. I used Scott’s masking tape technique as before but as I was running out of time I had to cut the glassfibre before it had started to go off. This left the edges a little ragged so to improve things I cut some strips of peelply and rolled them over the joints. Hopefully this will leave them nice and smooth. All in all a good days work methinks. Photo left shows the view looking directly down above the bulkhead between compartments between compartments 5 & 6. You can see the epoxy fillet in compartment 6 ready to glass. The other photo shows the peelplyed hullside joint.