596.5Hrs – Keelstrips Fitted
The man flu got the better of me over the last few days so boat time was non existent. It was still a struggle tonight if I’m honest but given what I said the other night about increasing productive time I just had to get back to it. The task tonight was to fit the keelstrips properly. My trial with the epoxy injection and petroleum jelly coated screw threads worked fine and the screws came out easily so I used the same method for real tonight. First job was o remove the strips completely and put down a good layer of the marine bedding compound then, after placing the keelstrips in position, I located and cleared the screwholes, injected epoxy into them, coated the screwthreads with petroleum jelly and screwed them home. On the starboard hull I tried to clean off the excess bedding compound with cloths and acetone but just made a mess, so on the port hull ‘I’ve just left it to harden off a bit and then I’ll trim it with a chisel. All in all I’m pleased with the job. Good protection for the keels with a tough, low friction material that can be replaced when necessary, with minimal risk of water ingress through the fixings.
Hopefully over the weekend I can complete another sand of both hulls and get somewhere close to applying the primer coat. I so want to get these bloody hulls turned!!