529.5Hrs – Smooth Progress
I’m getting into the swing of this phase now. Unfortunately my new heater hasn’t arrived yet but the temperatures are creeping back up again anyway. I have finished rubbing down the first filler coat on the one side of the starboard hull and I’m quite pleased with the results. After washing everything down again I spent a long time looking closely at it all, feeling with my hand, checking with a batten and spotting any blemishes. I marked anything I found with a marker so that tomorrow I can apply a second coat where needed. I also intend to get a first coat on the whole of the other side of the hull . I guess it could be argued that it’s a waste spending too much time trying to get everything perfect when the majority of what I am doing now will be below the waterline, but as always I want to do the best I can, and besides it’s good practice for the bits that will be a lot more visible.
My thoughts are also turning to the keel strips. Jacques commented the other day that he had nor fitted strips but rather built up ‘shoes’ from epoxy. Whilst that has some appeal I feel more comfortable with something sacrificial that can be replaced if necessary so, as previously mentioned I am going to use UHMW PVC as Thomas Neilson did on Tsunamichaser. I already have the PVC and tonight I have ordered bronze screws and Marineflex bedding/sealing compound I will need to fix the strips to the keels. More on that nearer the time.