519Hrs – Different Day Different Perspective
I slept on tipping the hull and woke decided against it. Too much hassle, too high a risk of damaging something. When I got to the barn I did move the hull though, about three feet to give me a bit more space to work on one side. Amazing the difference that made, I’ve been working on the hull in one position since I levelled the skeleton 6 months ago, it’s crazy but moving it re-energized me somehow. Maybe I just got bored looking at everything from the same angle and in the same light! I then had another look at the Mixfill I’d put on three days ago and found, finally, that it was cured enough to sand. I was immediately impressed by the ease with which it sanded back and the finish I was getting. Like Thomas I realised that I had been applying way too much though. I also realised that impatience had led me astray. The Mixfill is exactly the right product for the job albeit a little slow in these temperatures but hey I’ve got plenty to apply so what’s the rush! On that basis I vacuumed and washed one side of the starboard hull dried it off with my work lights and hot air gun then started mixing and trowelling on Mixfill, thinly this time! I really started enjoying it and by the time I’d finished I’d virtually finished the one side. To finish the day I started making a sanding board because I’m under no illusion that slapping on filler is the easy bit, the graft comes sanding it fair! Anyway I feel much better now I have made some progress and I know what I have to do. Thanks again to all those that have given advice and word of encouragement whilst I’ve been drifting, you are helping me more than you know.