511Hrs – Still Ghosting
Thanks to Thomas and Shane for comments on the last couple of posts. I am really grateful for Shanes detailed advice and I will certainly take it on board. When I got to the barn tonight I found that the Mixfill I had applied last night was still tacky. I’m pretty sure I mixed it properly I think it’s down to the low temperatures, we had the first frost of the Autumn last night. By way of another experiment I mixed up a batch of epoxy filled with microspheres and some silica to see if a ‘home brew’ fairing mix might work. I again used a steel float trowel and applied it to one side of the keel. It seemed to go on nicely but I think I made it too thin and I’m fully expecting to find it has slumped when I go back tomorrow. I’m starting to think that there might be some merit in seeing if I can tip the hulls on their sides temporarily. This would allow me to use a thinner ‘flowing’ mix without the risk of slumping. I figure this would give a better result and cut down on sanding. There are some old gym mats at the barn I could tip the hull on to, and I could use jacks and timber to support the hull at the best angle for the area I was working on. I think I may have a look at that. Fact is I’m getting really frustrated now, I had a really productive week when I got all the sheathing done and I just expected to continue pushing on into the fairing stage, it just hasn’t happened. I must keep emotions under control though, it’s at time like this that the risk of short cuts and second rate work is great. I will not let my standards slip!