507Hrs – Still Drifting
I spent some time tonight sanding back the filler on the keel. I’m using a solvent free two component product called Mixfill 100 from Sicomin. It seems to sand relatively easily but I’m beginning to realise how much work will be needed to apply this filler and get it smooth. I’ve looked at a number of methods and I quite liked the idea of applying the first coat with a notched or ‘comb’ trowel, sanding the resulting ridges and then filling between to get a smooth finish. I ran this proposal past my epoxy supplier and he pointed out that as you obviously cannot sand between the ridges you have to rely on wiping with acetone or water to get a good key with the second coat. He questioned how effective that would be and expressed some doubts about the result. That was enough to put me off the idea. We talked through some alternatives including using a slightly flexible batten slid across the hull under which you could use chalk dots to mark low spots. I experimented tonight with a piece of UHMW PVC strip and can sort of see how this may help. Ultimately though I can see this will be another ‘learn as you go’ exercise and I just need to get stuck in. Without making excuses I figure it is the change back to dark nights and colder weather that’s causing this slacking. I need to adjust because there’s months of that ahead!