395Hrs – Fingers Crossed!
My experiment worked so I’ve taken the plunge and done it for real. My heart was in my mouth as I drilled the 10mm holes in the skegs. I used my router fitted with the baseplate to keep the holes square. It worked well.
This is what I’m hoping to achieve, a 7mm hole with 3mm of epoxy protecting the ply. In addition the injection process forces the epoxy into the laminates of the ply, filling any pores and voids.
Drill the 10mm holes
Seal the holes on both sides. To prevent leakage I sandwiched some pieces of foam backed PVC flooring between the polythene and ply retaining plates. When the retaining plates are screwed down tight the foam compresses and moulds to the shape beneath forming a good seal.
2mm holes are drilled through the retaining plates into the 10m holes allowing the epoxy to be syringed in.
Small screws are put in to blank the holes and stop the epoxy backflowing.
Here you can see the ply ‘sweating’ epoxy that has been forced into the laminates under pressure. I figure there will be nowhere for water to get in now!
I will try and inject some more epoxy tomorrow to make absolutely sure that everything is completely filled before I take off the blanking plates.
I finished off my work session with some sanding. Plenty more of that tomorrow!