391Hrs – Experimenting
Tried a little experiment tonight with scrap pieces of ply, injecting epoxy into oversized holes as detailed below. I won’t know whether it worked until tomorrow but I did have a few leaks so I don’t think the holes will be completely filled. One interesting thing I noticed though was that this method did create a lot of pressure in the holes as they filled and I could see tiny droplets of epoxy appearing on the exposed cut edge of the 18mm, this indicates that this method really does saturate the ply much better than using a brush. I’ll see what I’ve got tomorrow but I’m now thinking that it might be sufficient to drill the correct sized holes and then pressure inject them. Thanks to Beat again for the comment suggesting this might work. Thanks also to Jean-Paul and Cynthia for their e-mail and photos showing their method of brushing epoxy into the holes and then sealing the holes and rebates with Sikaflex. This info has been of great assistance.
Drilled oversized 10mm holes
Backing plate screwed onto polythene
Front plate on polythene with 2mm holes set near the top of the 10mm holes beneath. Injecting in neat epoxy until it backflows out of the hole.
Small screws put into the holes to seal them