3743Hrs – Gas, Masts and Oscar
As planned we had a little shopping trip this morning out to the local caravan and camping store. I got all the hose, pipe and connectors I need to plumb in the cooker as well as two new 13kg propane bottles that should see us cooking on gas for a while. I have to build some plinths and retaining blocks in the gas locker and run the pipework so that’s all added to the list for later.
It was nearly lunchtime before I got to the barn and once there my priority job was to get the masts prepared ready for welding. I’m not entirely sure when the guy is coming to do the work but hopefully it’ll be within the week.
It was a bit nerve racking taking a big angle cutter to the aluminium but I took my time marking out first and took things very carefully. The masts are raked aft at 9′ and 7.5′ so I decided to cut the mast tops so that the caps will sit level. It was a bit trickier to do but it meant I was able to cut out the slight damage that occurred to one of the masts during shipping.
Once the mast were cut I notched in the cap gussets and marked up the mast cleat locations on both masts. I also dropped the aft deck section and stern ramp so I could remove the stern tube as that needs caps welding on the ends as well.
My two LED masthead lamps arrived today as well so I was able to suss out where and how they’ll be mounted on the mast caps. It should be an easy job as long as I remember to run a lead wire through the masts before the tops are welded in place. I’ll do that first thing tomorrow.
Oscar’s epoxy shell had dried nicely so I got her rubbed down and slapped on a coat of primer before calling it a day.