3588Hrs – Steering Clear
A day that at times was frustrating and physically tough ended up being a day when I could tick off another big job. Apart from paint the tiller and tiller bar construction is now complete.
My frustration came from trying to get the dinghy to sit nicely into the stern ramp in such a way that the tiller bar cleared it, the physically tough bit came from numerous strips up and down the step ladders, moving back and forth from one side of the boat to another and lifting the stern ramp and dinghy more times than I should have.
Before I got to those bits I spent a fair bit of time rounding, routing and sanding the tillers and tiller bar and then cutting the stainless steel pintles and some UHMW PVC washers so that everything worked smoothly.
The photo below shows the result of all my labour today. I decided to flip the ‘T’ section tiller bar over to give a bit more clearance. It may mean I have to modify the steering rope linkages a little but it should be fine.
I hesitate to say it but I think that I’ve now constructed every piece of the boat that’s shown in the plans. All remaining construction is in the cabins building cupboards, shelves etc. She’s not done yet but it feels like I’m getting there.