3550Hrs – Deck Pod Progressing
The paid work I was anticipating hasn’t materialised yet so I’ve continued building these last few days. The weather continues to hamper although compared to many we’re getting away lightly. I joked last week that if the rain continued I would be able to float ‘Gleda’ to Weir Quay, look at the map below and you can see my joke may yet become a reality.
The last time the country experienced such extensive flooding was in the Summer of 2007, coincidentally the year I started building ‘Gleda’, so it looks like I’ll be finishing her in a equally notable weather year.
On the subject of moving ‘Gleda’ I’ve been getting quotes and talking to transport companies over the last week. I’m close to making a final decision and although it will be great to get this important task finalised it looks as if I’ll need to budget some £2000 for it. With electrical system, rigging, cordage and a host of sundries left to purchase things are going to be very tight but I’ll find a way.
I’ve mainly been working on the deck pod of late, in particular finishing the roof and stainless supports. The job’s pretty much completed now with the exception of glassing the top of the roof. It’s too damp and cold for that right now and as there’s no rush I’ll leave it until the weather warms up.
Here are a couple of photos showing the finished roof, I’m really pleased with it.
In this photo below you can see the fairly substantial strengthener pads I’ve added to the aft of the deck pod. I’ve noticed already that the stainless roof supports are perfectly placed for grabbing as I move around the boat and I wanted them to be rock solid. They are just that now.
I said the other day that the roof would be retained with ‘D’ clips. I actually meant ‘R’ clips. I have them on order. The photo below shows how I’ve finished the top of the supports where they’ll fit.
My next deck pod job was to find a position for the engine controls. I’d been thinking about them for a while and today I decided to go with my best idea and set them into a recessed box next to the wheel. Obviously I wanted them close to hand but at the same time not in the way, I think I’ve achieved that with this set-up. The box is a bit rough and ready at the moment as it was a bit of a test and I’m not going to fix anything until I’ve sorted out the steering linkages.
I’ve also been putting some white topcoat on the gaffs in between times. On we go.