3538Hrs – Metalwork For A Change
Another productive day. I got two good coats of primer on the gaffs, I finished priming the underside of the deck pod roof and got the top side filled and sanded ready for glassing.
My main job today was to tackle the stainless steel support posts for the deck pod roof. The pin tops I’d salvaged were just a push fit into the top of the tubes so I needed to fix them permanently. I did this by drilling and pop riveting, I now know just how hard 316 marine grade stainless steel is!
Even with sharp bits, a bench drill and copious amounts of cutting fluid it was a slow job, but eventually I had the tops firmly fitted. Next up was to cut down the pins so as to remove some redundant screw fittings and then drill new holes to take the ‘D’ clips I’m going to use to hold the roof in place. Finally I took all the sharp edges off with a grinder and cut some pieces of closed cell foam to give the roof a nice cushion to sit down on.
They could have been made for the job!
It looks as if I have a few days paid work coming up, a bit frustrating as I feel like I’m on a bit of a roll right now, but it’s got to be done.