3468Hrs – Decks Near Completion
After a day off yesterday I was keen to get back to work on ‘Gleda’ despite the appalling weather. Unlike last year when we had weeks of freezing temperatures and snow, this year it’s been all about wind and rain. Yesterday we had a freak hailstorm with 50mph gusts of wind, thunder and lightening, the works. Today we’ve had torrential rain again. The fields are saturated, the ditches are full, everywhere is wet and muddy. It’s just relentless. Boatbuilding is actually an escape, it may be hard but I know that every hour of work is getting me closer to being able to escape it all.
Today I got on with finishing the decks. I trimmed back all the edges nice and square to the beams, I cut off the excess bearers and then I set my mind to the two ‘toe rails’ that close the gaps between forward deck edges and the foredecks.
I wasn’t sure I had any suitable timber for the job, but after a hunt around the workshop I found two old mahogany window sill pieces that I thought might be suitable.
To be honest the timber looked a bit rough but I trimmed off the worst bits, sanded down the rest, cut them to length and they came up fine. I took a bit of time to mark and cut out some decent sized drain holes, then marked up where they were going on the decks.
To make the job easier I dropped down the foredeck sections, one big advantage of Cedar is its light weight, so I was easily able to handle the decks on my own.
After prepping the areas to be glued I mixed up some epoxy and got the toe rails glued in place, I finished off by filleting them around. Tomorrow I’ll get a couple of coats of primer on them and the deck bearer supports.