3247Hrs – Multi Task Day
I really need to get something finished soon. Today I worked on the rudder support blocks, the rudders, the side decks and the side deck lockers. When I look up at the boat I see an unfinished deck-pod, engine boxes, centre deck, mast box and more.
It’s my own fault for switching from one thing to another but in my defence it’s sometimes an advantage to have more than one thing on the go because there’s always something to do.
I’m trying to tighten things up, I said yesterday that I want the rudders finished this week, but once I’d epoxy filled them this morning I had no choice but to leave them alone for the rest of the day.
So the next job up the line was the side decks and lockers . I first marking up where the lockers were to be fitted and then I dropped the decks down and set to dry fitting them to the lockers. I had to notch the top of the lockers so that the decks could sit down flush but that was all fairly straightforward.
It wasn’t quite so straightforward cutting out the access hatches though. I marked them from underneath and using a plunge cut of the jigsaw I cut the four straight sides from underneath. I than had to turn the decks over, mark the rounded corners and cut from the top because there wasn’t enough swinging room for the jigsaw underneath.
The starboard side went OK but I had brain fade on the port side, when I flipped the deck over I measured from the wrong side and didn’t realise until I’d cut the straights. It’s not a disaster because the decks will be glassed, it just means a bit more epoxy filling beforehand.
I finished off with some filling and painting of the stern posts and rudder support blocks.
Look carefully at the picture below and you can see my mis-cuts on the right side deck.