3141Hrs – Going To Be Becalmed Again
Well I’ve had a really good run but it looks as if some paid work and social demands are going to keep me away from the build for the next few days at least.
Because of that I wanted to end on a bit of a high and get some productive work done today.
Firstly though thanks so much for all the comments left about the deckpod. I’m already starting to get used to it and I now have quite a few ideas about how I can ‘soften’ its appearance later on. I did spend a bit of time in the pod today supping my tea and pondering and I have to say that stood inside it looks great!
My main job today has been to start construction of the side platforms that fill in the gaps between the deckpod and the hulls. It struck me that with these in place I’ll actually be able to move between the hulls without using ladders and that’ll be sweet.
After checking the pod was dead central I checked the measurements and was pleased to find that they matched the sizes shown on the plans. That’s always a bonus 🙂
So I set to cutting all the pieces and then epoxying them all together, the strengthening frames are made up of two layers of 20mm x 45mm so there was quite a bit of gluing involved.
Once the basic platforms are made up I’m going off plan again to incorporate some additional storage lockers underneath the platforms. I pinched this idea from Jacques ‘Pilgrim’ and they are perfect for stowing things like fenders and mooring lines.
Here’s a photo of them, thanks Jacques!
And here are mine in the first stages (looking at the undersides):
To finish off the day I took the stern ramp side webs to the next stage by cutting and glueing on the 12mm ply strengthening pieces and adding some longitudinal timber for extra strength.
Although I’m building pretty much to plan I want to ensure that the ramp is strong enough to comfortably take the weight of the dinghy and outboard. As always it will be a compromise between strength and weight.