3126Hrs – Ramping Things Up
I’ve decided that ‘Gleda’ will be staying in the barn over the Winter. I’d originally thought that I would have to move her outside into the yard so that I would be able to get the deckpod into position and work more easily on the decks,but after reviewing the situation with my landlord today it became obvious that moving her was potentially going to create some problems.
Once that was decided I had another look at the clearances needed to lift the deckpod into place and although it’s a bit tight I think it’s possible. To that end I spent a very mucky hour bringing down the temporary polythene canopy that’s been hanging in the barn roof since I put it up a little over 6 years ago, hence the not inconsiderable amount of dust, bird crap and leaf debris sitting on it!
It’s served it’s purpose and now the boat is weatherproof a few leaks and an occasional deposit of guano won’t be a problem, it’s actually quite nice to be able to see the barn roof again after so long.
In terms of actual boatbuilding today I decided to make a start on the stern ramp. After studying the plans I saw no reason to make it any differently from the plans so I set about cutting the necessary pieces of 9mm ply that form the main frame of the ramp.
It was all fairly straightforward with perhaps the exception of the end pieces of the side webs which are angled and shaped and therefore needed a bit of care to set out.
I’ve glued the two webs together on the floor I used to make the beams so as to make sure they are flat.
Here are the main pieces of the ramp laid out on the barn floor: