3022Hrs – Forwards and Backwards
A bit of a messy day today in that I worked on a few different jobs, a number of which were completely unplanned. Despite this spontaneity I still made good progress.
First job was to fit the two forward hatch coamings I made yesterday. I offered them into position and found that I just needed to trim a bit here and there to get a nice fit. That didn’t take long and I soon had them epoxied and filleted in place.
Here’s the port one all done.
As I had wet epoxy around I decided to leave any further work around the forward hatches until tomorrow. I’m also having a bit of a re-think regarding the ‘Griffiths’ design I mentioned the other day. I’ve seen an alternative that will be easier to make and doesn’t have the disadvantage of forming a gulley in which dirt and rubbish can get trapped. More on that tomorrow.
So leaving the forward areas alone I moved aft to the portside gas locker. I’d epoxied the hatch coaming in place a while back but hadn’t finished the job off, so out came the router and sandpaper and I soon had the coaming nicely rounded and smoothed.
Given my indecisiveness about hatch design I once again opted to leave it to one side after I’d sanded and moved on to fit the two mushroom vents I bought at Beaulieu many moons ago. I opted to use these on the aft decks because they are strong, low profile and incorporate a ‘dorade’ type design which should prevent any water getting below in anything other than complete submersion.
Once I’d worked out the correct positions I drilled holes, cut out with a jigsaw and then screwed them down on flexible bedding compound. Once the tops were cleaned up they looked fine and will provide much needed airflow in the compartments below.
Here’s a photo of the gas locker coaming and one of the vents.