2977Hrs – Hatches and Portlights
I’ve continued with the port main cabin hatch today and now have the coamings and washboard retainers all glued in place. I cut up a temporary washboard out of ply to test fit and to use as a template for the perspex one I will make later.
Next challenge is to make the hatch itself. Once again I’m off plan as I’ve decided to go with the stainless steel tube sliding mechanism rather than the JWD option of using some dinghy track.
I quickly realised that some careful thought was going to be needed to ensure that the hatch fits nicely, hinges smoothly and slides nicely. I spent quite a bit of time playing with offcuts of timber to get clear what was needed and I think I now know how I’m going to tackle the job. You can see the stainless slider tube lying on the cabin top in the photo below.
As my brain was starting to hurt I took a break and cut another hole in the boat! This one was in the tumblehome above the saloon seating and it’s to take another small perspex window to let some additional light in.
Once the position was marked out I cut carefully with the jigsaw and put the perspex in position temporarily held with gaffer tape. I need to make up some plywood frames for these new portlights later.
Here’s an exterior shot of the new saloon ports.