2889Hrs – From One End To The Other
As I’m still waiting for my new supply of 9mm ply there was a limit to what I could do on the deckpod today. I removed all the temporary screws I’d put in the other day and then made up the panels for the helmsmans seat. Once that was done I epoxied them in place along with the aft beam shelf.
I also made a better temporary fixing for the wheel so that I could make sure everything was in the right place and I’m pleased to say I’m still happy with the way things are.
I was a little bit stuck after doing that and in any case I quite fancied a change so I decided to move to the other end of the boat and have a play with the forward mast box.
I’d roughly cut the main pieces of ply to make up the mast box a good while ago so it took me some time to find them, remind myself where they went and then, with the aid of the plans, start cutting them accurately.
As with the deckpod I’m starting with the basic shape and dimensions but then modifying things slightly to accomodate the stainless steel bow roller I bought at Beaulieu and the anchor windlass I bought off eBay.
Again I felt the need to screw everything together temporarily, get it into position and play around to see how things would fit.
As it happens I didn’t need to play too much and I found what seems to be the right position for the bow roller first time. I’m not rushing this job though, it’s got to be right, so I’ll leave everything be for a few days to give me time to consider things properly. I quite like the idea of some sort of pulpit to make handling the jibs a bit easier so I want some time to play with ideas for that as well.
The photo below shows the mast box in place, with the Manson Supreme anchor sitting in the roller. At the aft end you can see the sheet winch and the anchor windlass. The tall bits of ply in the middle are the mast tabernacle sides as this is where the foremast goes.
Here’s a closer view of how the anchor sits …… could have been made for the job!