2869Hrs – Rabbit Hutch Progress
A good work session today, my brain seemed to be functioning well for a change and I managed to crack what is probably the most technical part of the deck mounted rabbit hutch construction (Cheers for that Peter!).
As I’d run out of 9mm ply I decided to sacrifice the watch berth roof panel I’d cut previously so that I could use it to make the deckpod fronts. This meant that I was able to build in the mast case I made yesterday and get everything epoxied up.
I spent a bit of time playing with the angle of the watch berth roof and once I was happy I cut the mast case to the right height, after that I cut out the two front panels and then spent some more time deciding where the two fixed portlights I’d bought at Beaulieu were going to go. Once I’d marked out and cut the holes for these I was able to disassemble everything before putting it all back together with glued epoxy joints.
All in all a good days work. Here’s a view of the deckpod showing the new front panels and mast case.
In this second photo I’ve tried to show how the deckpod sits on the mast beam and where the mast goes. Basically there’s a step in the forward and aft sides of the pod which simply sit on top of the mast and aft beams. Because I’ve lowered the floor slightly there will be a few inches sitting lower than the bottom of the beams but still well above the water.