2863Hrs – Off Plan Challenges
One of the disadvantages of choosing to deviate from the build plans is that parts that were previously quick and easy to make up by simply taking the measurements off the drawing, marking the wood and cutting, become far more challenging.
Such was the case today when I started looking at the mast case on the forward part of the deckpod. Basically the mizzen mast which sits on top of the mast beam rests back in a recessed mast case angled back at 7.5˚from the vertical.
Because I’ve chosen to have the watch berth positioned forward and sitting higher than the plans the standard mast case on the plans obviously wouldn’t fit. It took me a while to get my head around how it was constructed and positioned but I think I’ve sussed it and have now constructed a modified mast case that I’ll attempt to fit next time.
I also spent quite a bit of time playing with the position of the helmsmans seat because initially I couldn’t figure out how to get enough clearance for the ice box lid to hinge open. Eventually the penny dropped that I could modify the lid of the ice box to lift off instead of hinge and once I’d solved that I was able to finalise the framework positions for the seat and get them epoxied down to the deckpod floor.
Although there’s not a lot to show for my days work I’m much clearer about how this new deckpod is going to come together and I’m still really pleased with the design.