2842Hrs – Bushed
I’ve spent most of today working on the beam troughs, first job was to drill out the pilot holes I drilled the other day to a full 22mm diameter. This was a tad uncomfortable to do up in the bow section, cramped, hot and covered in glass fibre swarf… not nice, the others went OK though.
I drilled them out to 22mm so that I could fit the 12 steel bushes that prevent excess wear in the holes through which the 18mm stainless steel beam retaining pins fit.
I made these bushes from some tube I found in the workshop, 22mm external diameter and a nice tolerance fit for 18mm rod internally, I cut them to length with a cutting disc on the angle grinder and then filed them smooth.
Once that was done I tapped them into the holes and finished off the edges with epoxy to hold them in place. When the beams are fitted properly for launch these bushes and the elongated holes in the beams themselves will be packed with grease so rust will not be an issue.
Here’s a close-up of one of the bushes epoxied in place. I’ll get some paint on them tomorrow.
And here’s a long-shot of one of the bushed holes in the starboard forward trough.
I finished off the day putting a bit more paint on the beams and if all goes well tomorrow I’ll get the beams back up onto the boat and there they will stay until she comes out of the barn!