2786Hrs – Still Beaming
I’ve continued work on the beams today. I very much want to get them painted whilst this prolonged dry spell continues but I think I have at least one more work session to do before I can start on that.
Today I flipped the beams over and filled in the bubbled areas on the undersides. I also gave the undersides of the oak cleats and the hardwood end caps a coat of neat epoxy for additional protection.
After that I glued on the thin hardwood spacers I’d made when I levelled the beams. They’re only needed in a few places and make up for the slight unevenness additional to the thickness of the UHMW PVC packers.
I finished off by screwing down the UHMW PVC packers to the inboard and outboard ends of all the beam troughs. I took my time drilling, countersinking and then bedding them down on marine sealant. The sealant won’t really take to the UHMW PVC, I’ve used it only to help prevent water getting into the screw holes.