2701Hrs – One Becomes Two
I’ve put in 13 hours work over the last two days but I substituted last nights update with the post about the Tiki 38 mast case failures. Because of its importance I’m leaving it as the headline post for the next week which means that this and the next few updates will be backdated. Sorry for any confusion.
Anyway I completed the major operation of lifting all the beams down from the boat and onto trestles between the hulls. It was a bit sad separating the two hulls again but I’m lucky to be able to do it. The beams are far too heavy to handle manually and it’s only because I have access to the on-site fork lift truck that I can play around like this.
I may well put the beams back in once they are finished so that I can work on the decks, ramp, engine boxes etc in situ. By the time I come to final assemble the boat down at Weir Quay I’ll be well practiced!
Yesterday I trimmed the beams to the correct lengths and today I’ve cut and epoxied in filler blocks into the ends. I needed to do this as I’ve made the beams a bit longer than the plans as I explained the other day.
I’ll plane and sand them all back nice and flush next time.
Another job I’ve done is to fit the bow bridle backing plates, cut off the excess bolts and glue over some hardwood covers I made. I didn’t like seeing the exposed nuts and I think that once painted up these covers will look a lot better.