246.5 Hrs – Getting There
Funny how sometimes the answer to a problem you’ve been struggling with just suddenly pops into your head. I was really worried about getting these large hullside panels held in the right place whilst I adjusted and fixed into the epoxy. I went to the barn yesterday not really having a clue how to do it but within minutes the solution hit me….. put the horses to work! I have two heavy saw horses and all I had to do was screw battens across the ends at roughly the right heights to hold the bottom edge of the panels. They are heavy enough not to be pushed back and, by tapping with a rubber mallet, I could adjust the sheets verically and horizontally into just the right position. The photo shows them at work holding the first central panel.
Once I’d sussed that I was ready to start mixing epoxy. All the sanded areas got a neat coat then, while that tacked off, I mixed up a thickened adhesive batch to put a bed on the top of the hullside flange, theory being that as the screws pull down this mix will be compressed giving a great bond with no gaps and voids. You can see this in the next photo.
After giving all other glue areas a thin adhesive coat I was able to position the panel on the horses, make my adjustments and start screwing. I needed a couple of longer screws in a few places where there was a lot of tension but other than that there were no problems. I then took some time to clean up the excess adhesive, particularly on the inside. The confidence gained yesterday allowed me to get two more sections fitted today, the other central section and one bow section. The bow sections are the biggest and heaviest but the horses made the job easy, I mixed an awful lot of epoxy though!
I’m really pleased to have got this work done this weekend, the weather has been atrocious, torrential rain and not very warm, but I have a warm glow of satisfaction at another challenge met and beaten.
Raindrops are falling on my head! Well nearly, there’s a bit of a leak in the barn roof!