2448Hrs – Another Landmark Reached
I may be tired and aching all over but I’m very happy with todays work. It may be temporary but ‘Gleda’ is for the first time looking like a completed boat and I have to say she looks amazing.
I couldn’t have expected things to go any better and it’s a huge relief to know that all the time spent ensuring I built the beam troughs accurately has paid off. It’s hard to believe that it was August 2008 when I built them, the photo on the right shows the forward port trough as it was then.
First job this morning was to move the beams outside the barn to give me room to work. It snowed last night and was still snowing a bit this morning so it was the first and, I swear, last time that these beams will have snow on them!
Once I’d cleared the space I got busy with the tape measure and laser square to mark out the hull centre lines on the barn floor. I took a lot of time over this as I wanted to minimise having to move the hulls again whilst trying to position the beams.
The hull centre lines are 4.6m (15ft) apart and initially I was worried the barn might not be wide enough, it was, and I still have some working room down the outside of the hulls.
The photo on the right show the laser square in action. I used some white spray paint to mark the lines roughly and then made more accurate marks with a permanent marker.
Once that was done I was able to bring the fork truck in and carefully lift each end of the hulls bit by bit working the cradles over to their correct positions on the centre line. I’ve known for ages that the hulls would have to be moved apart by 1m (3ft) or so but once I’d done it I was staggered at how far apart they seemed.
After a cup of coffee I braved the snow and marked the hull centre lines on each beam and then, heart in mouth, it was time to bring in the first beam and drop it in. At this point I must give a big shout out to my mate Malc without who’s help I could not have done the job. It was hard physical work simply moving the beams into a position where I could get the fork truck under them. I don’t know how much each beam weighs but the two of us coud only just lift one. Malc you’re a hero.
We carried the first beam into the barn and laid it on trestles, I picked it up with the truck and carefully drove it forward over the cabin tops, there was just enough clearance but I was very close to ripping down the strip lights and polythene tent roof!
Once over the beam trough I lowered the beam down and to my utter amazement it dropped in as sweet as a nut, one down three to go.
The centre beam dropped in nearly as sweetly but I could see that the aft parts of the hulls were just a little close together so we made some slight adjustments before I measured and cut the shorter mast beam. This beam is the only one that doesn’t span the entire width of the hulls but rather sits in a well. I was mighty pleased to find that the distance on my hulls matched the distance on the plans to within 25mm(1″).
Once the mast beam was in position that just left the aft beam. This one required a little more jiggling but again it dropped in without too much effort. Now I know that all is well I’ll be able to take my time on each beam positioning it absolutely spot on, making the spacers and lining things up perfectly. Having the beams roughly positioned just makes it so much easier to see what needs levelling and adjusting.
I’ll let the pictures tell the story from here on but suffice it to say that once the job was done I spent quite a while just walking about under the beams and leaning against the barn wall staring, just taking in the fact that ‘Gleda’ has once again been transformed.