2443Hrs – A Big Day Tomorrow!
Another groundhog day today as I flipped all the beams over and did exactly the same as I did yesterday i.e. planed, sanded and routed.
When I started the day I’d planned to have a bit of a clean up and then crack on with the epoxy fillets but as I was working a crazy idea popped into my head, why not drop the beams into place before I did anymore work on them?
It wasn’t a completely random thought because I’d been pondering the other work that needed to be done on the beams subsequent to finishing them. There are hardwood mountings for the hinged stern ramp and the engine boxes. The beams themselves cannot be cut to length and the hardwood endcaps fitted until they are in position, there are various locating blocks and spacers which again, cannot be fixed until the beams are in place and finally there’s a peace of mind issue. It’s not until the beams are dropped into the troughs that you can be absolutely sure you’ve built everything square and level. Jacques discovered that his beam troughs were a little out of square only when assembling the boat for the first time and I don’t wan’t any unpleasant surprises right at the end of the project.
I also have a huge advantage in that I have the space inside the barn to position the hulls the right distance apart (at least I think I do) and I have a fork lift truck on site to lift the beams so it’s not such a huge job. All in all I can think of no reason not to drop them in now, check everything is as it should be, and then do as much of the additional work as I can before removing them and finishing them properly.
So tomorrow if all goes well ‘Gleda’ will have her two hulls connected for the first time, I can’t wait!
The beams look pretty now, I think they’ll look even better tomorrow.