2414Hrs – One Of Those Days
Sometimes you just know it’s going to be one of those days don’t you? I’d woken at 4am with a migraine and had been up for a couple of hours, then even before my first cuppa of the day I was outside helping my girlfriend and the next door neighbour get their cars off the driveway. Fresh wet snow had fallen during the night onto compacted ice, end result next to zero traction. They got away after much pushing and wheel spinning and I was able to get my breakfast before heading up to the barn. Guess what? I ended up stuck twice but managed to extricate myself and eventually got to the boat.
As I got out of the car at the barn I slipped on the ice and banged my elbow hard…. there was a pattern emerging.
As I was keen to get the last two beam planks glued on I cracked on and took all the temporary screws out of the planks I’d glued yesterday ready to sand and apply epoxy, all seemed to be going well then as I was coming out of the epoxy shack I happened to glance at the end of the beam and to my horror saw that one of the joints had sprung.
It’s ironic isn’t it, last night I spouted on about how in these cold temperatures the epoxy doesn’t reach it’s full strength and what had I done but taken the retaining screws out of a highly tensioned joint less than 18 hours after glueing it!
I quickly realised why it had happened on this beam and not the others, it’s the forward beam and it has much steeper curves on the ends than any of the other beams, they’d taken some serious clamping to get the 1″ plank to pull down and I was simply asking too much of uncured epoxy to hold them.
Anyway I quickly got some big G clamps from the workshop and got the joints pulled in tight again, panic over and no harm done. Once they were pulled down I put some long stainless steels screws in which I’ll probably leave in place.
Once that drama was over I was able to carry on and glue on the last two planks, it was still a struggle though, I got epoxy where I shouldn’t have, I dropped things, I lost things, I broke a clamp, I confess to getting myself pretty wound up but I persisted and the job is now completed… phew!
The photo below shows the forward beam that caused me so much grief, you can see how curved the top planks are and even the lower ones have an upward bend in the middle unlike all the other beams which have flat bottoms.