2263Hrs – On An Even Keel
A bitty day today. The weather was wet and dull as predicted so no surprise that I didn’t think about painting. My first job was to get the hulls sitting secure and level in their cradles after all the moving around over the past few days. The starboard hull was easy and was soon rock steady with a spirit level on the backbone under the cabin sole showing here sitting level fore and aft as well as athwartships. The port hull however fought me all the way and I had to employ the yard fork lift truck once more. Even then it took over an hour to get her sitting level, every time I dropped her back into the cradles she started leaning inwards. I persisted though and then suddenly she dropped just right requiring only a few wooden wedges to firm her up. Just to add a bit of extra firmness I dropped the aluminium stern tube back into position and pulled it down with big zip ties so that the two hulls are connected to each other.
It was worth spending time on this because I now have a lot of work to do inside the cabins and on deck. Obviously it’s not great to have the hulls rocking from side to side as you move about on them and apart from that the interior joinery and fitment of things like the cooker, sink and toilet are far easier if you can drop a spirit level on things and know that they’re plumb.
Once I could jump around on deck with confidence I decided to re-cut the round windows in the forward parts of the deck houses. I’d cut them slightly undersize for the perspex circles I’ve got and I needed to create some more clearance for the installation method I’m planning t0 use (more on that when I get to them).
After rubbing down the last bits of filler I’d applied yesterday I finished with a good clean-up and now I’m ready for the next job. I can’t see me painting until after Christmas so I’m not sure what I’ll get to next but I’ve got plenty to choose from!