219Hrs – Start Dry Fitting Hullsides
Oh boy this is going to be fun! A long day today but I think I’m making some progress. I started off by cutting the last two port hull sections then spent a good few hours putting a bevel on the hullside bearer on the backbone. I was quite surprised how much I had to take off and where it runs under the keel there isn’t enough clearance to get the power plane in, so it’s a surform job, finishing off with the belt sander. See the after and before shots below. (I know! I just inserted the photos in the wrong order and couldn’t be bothered to swop them!)
Once that job was completed I set about dry fitting the centre sections. These have to be accurately aligned with No 5 bulkhead. It is quite a challenge handling these big heavy sheets alone, I had several ‘count to 10′ moments before I found a method of using my spring clamps to hold the sheet in position whilst still allowing me to make small adjustments in position. I had to cut away some of the keel doubler in places to get the bottom edge of the panel flush with the bottom of the bulkheads. Once I was happy I put in some screws to hold it better in position. I will have to cut the edges of the other hullside panels down as I go because I have noticed that my sheets are some 5mm larger than the 2.44m used on the plans. It’s going to be a long process until I get to the stage of glassing the panels into the fitting sections. Anyway I got the two centre ones done and it’s quite exciting to transform a skeleton into a hull. I took a photo underneath the hull and have shown it turned through 180’ you can see the bilge and the floor supports.