210 Hrs – Ply Problem
I am rejecting the 9mm ply that was delivered this week, I had already noticed that it was much lighter in colour but I couldn’t look at properly until today as the 15mm (which is fine) also delivered was stacked on top. Anyway once I got to it I knew straight away it wasn’t up to standard, its about half the weight, only three ply, thinner (nearer 8mm than 9mm) and I found some voids and even a crack in one of the faces. It maybe stamped up as BS 1088 Marine but it ain’t right! It’s annoying and I will be on the phone first thing Monday to get it sorted. A lesson for others here I think, buy all the ply in one lot if you can. Anyway I have enough of the original to make the lower hullsides for one hull so using the ones I’ve already made as templates, I marked up the remaining ply and gave the sheets their first coat of epoxy. I also cut out the other three small stern hullside sections that all come out of one sheet. I also made a start at bevelling the hullside flanges but stopped before I cocked something up, there are days when the brain and hands just don’t seem to coordinate and its best not to ignore the warnings! So not the most productive day not helped by me feeling a bit under the weather with a migraine headache, I will chill out a bit tonight and maybe get the second epoxy coat done tomorrow.