2009Hrs – Sheathing Started
I cracked on again today and started the sheathing. After 6 hours I had covered 3 sections of the hull covering about 7sqm (75 sqft). By my reckoning that means I’ve got about 60 hours of sheathing fun in front of me!
Given that it’s coming up to 5 years since I sheathed the lower hulls (I can’t believe that!) it’s hardly surprising that it took a little while to feel comfortable with the process again. There’s an added difficulty this time round because gravity is against me, the lower hulls were sheathed whilst upside down so the glass twill just sat there, this time round it has a natural tendency to pull away from the hullside.
After getting in a bit of a mess with the first piece I sussed a simple technique of using masking tape to hold the twill in place whilst I wetted it out, after that all went well.
So the process illustrated in the photos below is 1) wet out the ply with epoxy 2) hang the pre-cut glass twill in place 3) Roll and smooth the twill into the wet epoxy 4) Mix more epoxy and apply until the twill is thoroughly saturated 5) Using a stiff rubber squeegee make sure that all the air bubble are removed 6) Smooth on a sheet of pre-cut PeelPly
I’m using PeelPly again as I found it worked really well on the lower hulls.(It’s a fabric that is applied over the last layer of cloth before the laminate is allowed to begin its cure. Since it does not bond to the laminate, it will peel off at anytime afterwards. It leaves a slightly roughened surface that does not require further preparation before adding additional layers or painting)
Glass Twill Hung On Masking Tape Glass Twill Bedded Into Wet Epoxy
Fully Wetted Out & PeelPly Applied 2 Of The 3 Panels Done Today