1822Hrs – Watertight Hatch & Timber Filleting
I was up early and cycled (Landy back tomorrow) up to the barn in the dark for a short work session that allowed me to get four of the timber fillets into place. But before I started sanding back the areas to be glued I thought I’d temporarily get the watertight hatch into position so as to stop the dust filling up the forward compartment. This watertight hatch was originally constructed by simply cutting a round hole in the forward bulkhead and then gluing a larger circle of ply to the piece that had been cut-out. I’d left the hatch in place forward of the bulkhead ever since I made it because forgetting to put it in there before gluing the deck on gives you a real problem! When the hatch is finished it will have highe density foam glued around the perimeter and will be held in place with a stainless bolt epoxied in place. a big stainless wingnut and a proper hardwood cross-piece. For now a steel coachbolt and timber off-cut do the job. Gluing the timber fillets in place went smoothly although I did make the epoxy mix a little heavy so I put a strip of peel-ply tape over fillets to stop any slumping.