1802Hrs- On Tape
After spending a bit of time with the plans and doing an inventory check I was ready to start the long job of applying bi axial glass fibre tape to all the external hull, deck and cabin joints. I haven’t measured them but there are many metres of them!
I decided to start small and tackle the bow end of the starboard hull first. I’d checked back on my blog to refresh my memory about the masking tape method that Scott used on his Tiki 26 ‘Element’. It’s simple but really worth while, basically you run masking tape down each side of the area to be taped, overlap the bi-ax tape onto it whilst applying the epoxy then, once the epoxy has hardened up a bit, run a sharp blade down the inside edge of the tape and voila! nice clean neat edges.
Unfortunately I’d only got some cheap paper masking tape but it seemed to work OK but the next lot I buy will be better quality, Scott used the blue stuff which is also easier to see under the glass and epoxy. Anyway after thoroughly wetting out the wood I applied the 150mm glass tape and bedded it down using a natty metal roller that I bought at the Beaulieu Boat Jumble back in April. It’s got thin vanes running across the width that do a great job of pushing out the air and wetting the tape out.
Considering how long it is since I did any of this tape work it all went surprisingly well though and I got both side of the foredeck done before calling it a night.
The weathers turned big time this week, only just made double figures today 🙁